What is CBD for arthritis?
CBD is short for cannabidiol (pronounced can-a-BID-i-ol). Think of medicinal cannabis as a class of medicines. CBD is one of the most abundant and promising cannabinoids, a group of compounds specific to the cannabis plant.
How long have people used cannabis for arthritis?
Cannabis sativa has been in use by humans for 5000 years, according to records from ancient China. Cannabis was valued for its material, cultural and medicinal properties.
Is it helpful to use CBD for arthritis?
Anecdotally, cannabis has long been used by people seeking to reduce arthritis. But a lack of CBD clinical trials for arthritis has made it difficult for doctors to confidently prescribe medical cannabis.
What does the latest research on treating arthritis with CBD show?
Bod Australia has contributed to the UK’s largest medical cannabis patient study, Project Twenty21.
The major findings about CBD for arthritis so far are:
- a 50% increase in patients’ self-reported health and ability to lead a normal life
- an opportunity for patients to stop their reliance on opioids as treatments, with their serious side effects.
Other CBD studies for arthritis
In their review of clinical studies on CBD for arthritis, Arthritis NSW found
- a reduction of 30% in pain intensity compared to placebo
- 53% of patients reduced or eliminated their opioid use
- fewer or less severe side effects than mainstream pain medications.
A rigorous CBD clinical trial for arthritis is underway in the United States.
How to take part in CBD clinical trials for arthritis
Register your interest to participate in upcoming clinical trials.
Sign up to learn more news about CBD for arthritis
Sign up to get updates about the latest research and CBD clinical trials for arthritis.